Sunday, January 6, 2013

5S Kitchen storage

1. Sort
Sorting is always the most cathartic step for me. It is when you allow yourself (or force yourself) to let go.

When tackling the kitchen counters, I had to address some of the cabinets and drawers as well. I found that there were things I kept on the counter because I did not think there was room anywhere else, so I would suggest emptying all your cabinets first.

1. Empty the drawers and cabinets.
Take stock of what you have.
2. If you have multiples, choose do donate some.
When sorting my utility drawers, I decided some of my extra utensils and devices could be used camping, so I added them to our camping box in the garage.
3. Throw away anything that is broken.
4. Add to the donation pile anything that you do not use.
5. Identify and separate things that you use every day (pans, tools, plates), what you use infrequently (special tools), and what you use once a year.

Once everything is clear, it can be cleaned.

2. Scrub
The cupboards and drawers should not be that dirty, so an annual wipe down should be sufficient. RealSimple.com suggests using a microfiber cloth and mild cleaner.
Use a hand vac to eliminate any crumbs.

Counters can be cleaned similarly. I usually use a disinfectant on my counters and sink daily, especially after preparing meat or fish.

Once the storage areas are clean and fresh, it is time to figure out what goes back where.

3. Set
When putting things back, think about where you use them and how often you use them.

Daily items should be stored near the point of use. Consider putting them on the counter, or most accessible drawers/cabinets. I put the big appliances that I use every day on the counter (coffee maker, toaster oven, hot water heater). Other items, like the crockpot I put in a low cabinet with other pots. I usually get it out the night before I use it, so it reminds me I need to put everything in it in the morning.

Special tools should be grouped with other like items (baking, BBQ, etc) and put on high or low shelves. Lighter things are easier to lift on high shelves. Heavier pots and pans are easier to place below.

With a toddler in the house, most of our cabinets have child locks, except for a couple drawers. Even so, I put all the knives and sharp objects on the back of the counter or in a high cabinet that he can not reach. I left one cabinet he can access with some extra plastic cups and wooden spoons.

Remember, 5S is a continuous and iterative process, so if it does not work at first, you can always move things around. The key is that everything has a designated location, so you know where to put it back.

4. Standardize
What kind of visuals do you need to make sure items are placed back in the right area?

If you are using bins for keeping related items together ( like baking items), you can put labels on those bins.

If you have a fancy coffee maker that you (or your husband) does not know how to work, you can post directions on an index card on the machine or in the box of coffee tools.

If you want to get really fancy, you can label locations for the items on the counter or mark the zones with different patterns of contac paper.

I have stated before that I am more concerned with function than aesthetics. Even so, I like to have some flowers or a plant on the counter. My husband just got me a hyacinth that should bloom for awhile, as long as I remember to keep putting water in it.

For now, I am going to evaluate the locations of my counters and cabinets before I do any more labeling.

The final step is the never ending Sustain.








No comments:

Post a Comment